Learning about First Languages promotes how diverse Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, identities, cultures and contributions are. Languages are a unique way for students and children to reflect on their own ways of knowing and being in the world. They also learn:
- communication skills in Language while enhancing English literacy skills
- the role of languages in intra- and inter-cultural communication, relationships and identities
- cultural awareness, empathy and respect
- the importance of Language use, Language learning and keeping Language alive.
Giving students and children chances to learn about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages can build their understanding of and connection to:
- the Country your school or early learning service is on
- local cultural identities.
The Framework for Aboriginal Languages and Torres Strait Islander Languages recognises the direct links and deep connection between languages, Country and identity.